Mark - who clearly hasn't cleaned the egg off yet[1]

> IBM didn't misuse it.

Wrong!

> The description of the parm used "official" (ahem) IBM terminology.

More wrong - if possible!

Yet again for those who wilfully try to present untruths:

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/globalization/terminology/u.html#x2042481

Is there some subtlety here that I - and perhaps I alone, no sorry, also John
Eells - has missed which somehow makes this come from an unreliable set of
web pages and we are too stupid to find the correct ones?

But thanks for the low blood pressure help anyhow!

> USS is still a convenient abbreviation for Unix System Services ...

It would be a shame to break a "hat trick" of ducks - Oh, back to the "egg"
again!

> ... and all the current pubs are still called Unix System Services something
or other (not z/OS Unix something or other).

And your point is ... ?

I thought I might have an idea what your point was until I checked the
current V1R12 z/OS UNIX bookshelf - yes, I trust you noticed, "z/OS UNIX" -
although it does differ from your "z/OS Unix" by using upper case - and,
looking in the most general manual, the "Planning" manual, I noted that
Chapter 1 was "Introduction to z/OS UNIX".

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/BPXZB2B0/1.0

No, I really haven't the first <expletive deleted> clue what you are talking
about!

> Just because IBM started using z/OS unix doesn't mean every software MF
component known to man kind is going to change their parms / keywords (for
example, ZUXHOME for CICS SIT).

Ditto!

What's to "change"?[2] It was wrongly composed in the first place by pure
carelessness - egged (sorry) on by misuse by the ignorant. It was careless
because John Eells - I believe - implied that there is a formal process whereby
developers can discover whether implied initialisms and other abbreviations
have been taken already and careless developers may very well imagine they
are allowed to bypass that process when they find others extensively misusing
a particular initialism.

That's the explanation of how this particular CICS aberration happened -
unless somebody, somebody who understands sensible software development
procedures, has a better idea.

> BTW, ISTR a time B4 this thread when real mainframe discussions took place
on this list.

I would have thought hammering out an understanding of software
development procedures was a valid tangent to find room for discussion on
IBM-MAIN - or maybe I'm just getting old, not trendy enough in this long-
haired UNIX world ...

> Let's please get back to it ASAP!

Sooner rather than later - see above.

Incidentally, it's one of the marks of an argument which finds its premises
have become unsafe which prompts calls to evacuate the building!

> If it sounds like I'm making an argument for both sides, I'm not and yet I
am. :-)

You also lost me here - but, unlike Peter Hunkeler, I'm obviously having a bad
day!

-

[1] http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1105&L=ibm-
main&T=0&F=&S=&P=9690

[2] Just - I think - to be clear, "UNIX System Services", the full title giving
rise
to this misused initialism, had previous incarnations which could never have
given rise to the initialism so how could the initials have been in use before
the title UNIX System Services" was devised - unless referring to the correct
entity - thereby requiring a "change"?

-

Chris Mason

<thomas.chick...@53.com>