In a recent note, Mark Thomen said:

> Date:         Fri, 4 Aug 2006 12:40:37 -0700
>
> There are some issues with lower case - data set names cannot contain lower
> case characters; a parm that inserts data for a data set name will be
> rejected with a JCL error.

???

Hmmm.  I just tried an experiment.  From the JCL listing:

        4 //MIXED     DD   DISP=(,KEEP),UNIT=SYSALLDA,SPACE=(TRK,0),
          //  DSN='Mixed.Case.data set name'
          //*

And from the allocation messages:

IEF142I JOBCARD STEP - STEP WAS EXECUTED - COND CODE 0000
IEF285I   Mixed.Case.data set name                     KEPT
IEF285I   VOL SER NOS= TSO009.

And from ISPF DSLIST:

 DSLIST - Data Sets on volume TSO009                              Row 43 of 283

 Command - Enter "/" to select action                  Message           Volume
          Mixed.Case.data set name                                       TSO009

What gets 'rejected'?

>  It's also not clear what the JCL processor should do with lower-case.  Do
> the programs that get invoked expect lower-case?  How many programs (in the
> world) would have to upper-case items to properly interpret them?
> Parameters like AMP, STORCLAS, MGMTCLAS,  and others added over the years
> would have to be  modified to support lower-case.  It's not just "allowing
> them in JCL" - some of these parameters are passed to IBM components, and
> to vendor products.  Can you imagine how much work it would take to support
> lower-case?

None.  Such programs can all be invoked today from assembler with
CALL, ATTACH, LINK, XCTL, etc. with lower case parameters and require
no need for modification to "support" them.  Why should the JCL
parser impose further restrictions.

-- gil
--
StorageTek