Shmuel

I am supported in not suggesting that SNA Architecture allows a negotiable
BIND for LU type 2 (and LU types 1 and 3) by Table 9-8, "BIND Parameter
Checking for LU Types 1, 2, and 3" in section 4.1.14.2, "BIND Check" of
"3174 Establishment Controller, Functional Description", GA23-0218-11:

http://publibfp.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/cn7a7003

You will see that a secondary LU type 2 will reject a BIND which proposes
negotiation in byte 1 of the BIND request data.

You took the quote for your second point out of context. The quoted sentence
comes from the section headed by the following text:

<quote>

Here's the explanation of how it is/used to be when one set of dimensions
were to be used for some subapplications (the second set below) and another
set of dimensions, typically, 24 rows and 80 columns, were to be used for
other subapplications, typically subapplications designed for the ubiquitous
original dimensions (the first set below) (also late-70's):

</quote>

I seem to recall I was careful about my text in that header paragraph,
"typically" was added because the "Query Reply" allows for both sets of
dimensions, default and alternate, to be specified - see Table 3-48,
"Implicit Partition Sizes for Display Stations" in section 2.2.4.12, "Query
Reply (Implicit Partition)" - and so an emulator (or simulator), for
example, could permit the specification of all 4 numbers.

I believe you are talking about dimensions you set using the X'7F' code in
the penultimate byte of the PSERVIC operand.

You also could be thinking of cases where you have used the X'7E' code in
the penultimate byte of the PSERVIC operand and so whether the application
uses "Erase Write" or "Erase Write Alternate", the operational dimensions
will be the same.

Chris Mason