A general point to all following this fascinating topic

In Table 2-6, "LU Type 2 Screen Size BIND Format" in section 2.1.3.3,
"Erase/Write Alternate Command" of  "3174 Establishment Controller,
Functional Description", GA23-0218-11[1], there is something designed
thoroughly to muddy the water. I hadn't noticed it before and I wish I
hadn't noticed it this time. <g>

I was going to say I've been teaching the "wrong stuff" all these years when
I realised that I couldn't have been since what I taught was the way it
worked - and was the way everybody else was experiencing it worked. Was the
manual wrong or was it describing something that actually was compatible
with the "incorrect" implementation in application programming - and 3270
emulators?

Perhaps those who are really interested can go and look it up and reach
their own conclusions. It concerns the way the X'7F' code in byte 24 of the
BIND image is described and introduces another code, X'3F', which appears to
correspond to what I - and I believe others - have described as the way the
X'7F' code works.

[1] http://publibfp.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/cn7a7003

Chris Mason