Non-mainframers tend to use the word "reentrant" to mean
what we mainframers would call "recursive".

Mainframers tend to use the word "reentrant" to mean
a program that is concurrently executable by multiple
units of work and it does not modify itself at all (or
may modify itself in a way that is not detectable by
the multiple units of work that are concurrently executing
the program).

btw: I would offer the definition of "non-reentrant" to be a
program designed either to modify itself or a program that
may misbehave when executed concurrently by multiple units
of work.

Mainframers tend to use the word "refreshable" to mean a
program that does not modify itself at all, so that it could
be refreshed from external storage medium at any time *and*
any concurrently executing units of work would not detect
the refresh. A refreshable program is also specifically
designed for correct behavior during concurrent execution
by multiple units of work.

btw: I always write my "reentrant" programs as though they
are "refreshable". I always design my programs to be
reentrant *unless* there is a specific reason that requires
the program to be non-reentrant. Personal convenience alone
is not sufficient justification to design a program as
non-reentrant, other than for a "throw away" program that
I expect to use only once.

2 cents worth. Your mileage may vary.

Jeffrey D. Smith
Principal Product Architect
Farsight Systems Corporation
700 KEN PRATT BLVD. #204-159
LONGMONT, CO 80501-6452
303-774-9381 direct
303-484-6170 FAX
http://www.farsight-systems.com/
comments are invited on my encryption project