----- Original Message ----- From: "Clark Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 3:00 PM
Subject: Software charges was Re: Is anyone still running..........................

On 14 Jan 2007 06:14:37 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

Ted,

Just because *you* aren't seeing them does not mean others are not. My
MIPS have been increasing and my charges, at worst, are holding their
own year over year. Keep that room in the tower, Timothy!

My view of it is that the software charge per MIP/MSU/latest
measurement unit should follow the same trend as the Windows cost per
megahertz.  Software legitimately (added security and error checking)
takes more system resource for the same business function as time goes
on.  If software charges don't reflect this the mainframe is going to
keep on losing.  The charge for software for the largest capacity z
series today should be no larger than that for the comparable software
on the largest 390 series 10 years ago, possibly inflation adjusted.

good idea, we should make the mainframe act the same as win-doze too.
make it reboot itself for no aparent reason, make it lock up for no apparent reason, and every time we wanted to upgrade dfsms or jes2, we'd have to upgrade it on a per user basis. here, you get the new jes2 today, next week, the apps people get it.

win-doze, or as it should really be called, the tinker toy platform.

I find it amazing the number of times we see in the "morning status report"
server xyz was rebooted, yet the win-doze people keep getting away with that time after time. If we tried that on the REAL computer, (i.e., MAINFRAME), we'd be shot.