-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Robert Justice
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 3:10 PM

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clark Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 3:00 PM

snippage

> My view of it is that the software charge per MIP/MSU/latest
> measurement unit should follow the same trend as the Windows cost per
> megahertz.  Software legitimately (added security and error checking)
> takes more system resource for the same business function as time goes
> on.  If software charges don't reflect this the mainframe is going to
> keep on losing.  The charge for software for the largest capacity z
> series today should be no larger than that for the comparable software
> on the largest 390 series 10 years ago, possibly inflation adjusted.

good idea, we should make the mainframe act the same as win-doze too.
make it reboot itself for no aparent reason, make it lock up for no
apparent
reason, and every time we wanted to upgrade dfsms or jes2, we'd have to
upgrade it on a per user basis. here, you get the new jes2 today, next
week, the apps people get it. win-doze, or as it should really be
called, the tinker toy platform.

I find it amazing the number of times we see in the "morning status
report"
server xyz was rebooted, yet the win-doze people keep getting away with
that
time after time. If we tried that on the REAL computer, (i.e.,
MAINFRAME), we'd be shot.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please

SunTrust and Seeing beyond money are federally registered service marks of
SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]