On 14 Jan 2007 12:11:00 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

> [...]

I suspect that a lot of this is just poor management of the Windows
systems.  Check to see if your Windows people go to the Microsoft site
to check on outstanding problems and if they have a maintenance
strategy.  I apply the maintenance to my home system selectively and
find a fair amount of information is available for the fixes they want
me to apply.  I am relatively sloppy on my home system but the
information and tools are there for doing maintenance and upgrade in a
controlled fashion. How well are things tested on the Windows side?  I
have seen postings in other areas boasting about how long Unix and
Linux systems have gone between reboots (in terms of months) and I may
have seen some related to Windows.  If the Windows people aren't
managing the system and using tools that are available for that
environment, that isn't the fault of Microsoft.  Also, if servers are
managed properly, an outage may be more like losing a CICS region or
DB2 instance.  Again, good management will minimize these outages.
Windows is designed to be used by people whose skills range from
clueless to IT mission critical capable.  Since the old rule of fool
proofing applies, the better the fool proofing, the more foolish the
user, Windows vulnerabilities in an unmanaged environment will be
there.

This of course is a diversion from the topic of whether Mainframe
software pricing relative to computer capability has declined in price
to the same extent Windows software has.  I contend that Windows
software has grown more capable over the past ten years without
increasing in price the way mainframe software has.