Kees,

>- How did this thing run in the 'open' world (or didn't it)? Machines
>with dozens of processors to execute these 65 tasks immediately are not
>common there either AFAIK.
No idea. The architecture in the 'open' world may be completely different.

>- I am a little worried about your remark about the (short) life of the
>address spaces: creating a new thread in Unix is just simply adding an
>entry to a process table; if it requires address space creation in z/OS,
>this is a heavy overhead part added to kicking off the task. Can you
>play around with BPXPRM parameters to keep these address spaces (BPXAS I
>suppose) alive for a longer period, so they can be reused?
An idea to keep in mind. I am not really all *that* fluent in unix/bpx stuff, I
didn't even know that that possibility exists.
All our USS workloads tend to write job end iefactrt messages and iefuji job
begin messages into syslog at a very high rate, indicating short lived address
spaces, and obscuring the really important information.:-)

The MVS implementation of BPX 'address space creation' was changed back in the
nineties to use RSM shared pages (a virtual overlay of the creator's address
space) because most of the parent address space pages were thrown away by the
child anyway. That improved performance a lot, similar to what can be seen in
the 'distributed world'. Before that, 'getmain at the given address' was
implemented to make the parent identical to the child in the beginning.

>- If the DP's are well positioned between the Sysstc (MQ etc.) and the
>low prio other stuff, what exactly do you expect from WLM?

a) skip the 'I don't look at you for a while' algorithm for *this* workload. We
have these spikes, and 30s are too long if there really is an increase in load
and someone else has the high DP due to WBIFN not needing it/being overlooked
for that interval.
b) if that is impossible, lean on the application to *define* what a
transaction is so that 'the performance people' have a better way to manage the
workload.
c) a combination of both.

I am well aware that that requires design changes. :-)

Best regards, Barbara