I'd suggest that you do a seach on "mainframe TCO" on Google to get
some more information on this topic. I spend a lot of time at IBM
educating customers on what the true cost of ownership is for various
technology platforms they choose. It was true back in the 90's that
the mainframe was more expensive for most customers. Not true today
where the mainframe can be competitive or cheaper than other
platforms, of course depending on your own specific situation and
software.

Since I do this, I can probably also find a coworker of mine to run a
TCO study for your site. I can be reached directly at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dan

On Jan 31, 2008 1:53 PM, Eric Bielefeld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think I've mentioned this here before, but I used to work at P&H Mining
> Equipment in Milwaukee.  They had a mainframe running SAP/R2, and several
> other applications.  It was an MP3000-H50.  In the mid 90's, they bought Joy
> Mining in Pennsylvania.  Joy converted their old 3081 to an Lpar on our
> machine in Milwaukee back in 1996.  A few years later, Joy decided they
> didn't want to go through a Y2K conversion, and still have all old software.
> They converted everything to SAP/R3, and got off our mainframe in early 1999.
>
> When SAP said that if we ran P&H on the same equipment that Joy was using,
> they would not charge us for new SAP licenses.  This eliminated a huge cost,
> and P&H decided to convert to SAP/R3 and run it in Pennsylvania.  The project
> took just under 2 years when it finally got started till they turned the
> mainframe off.  There was some pain at first, but the conversion as a whole
> went very well.  According to management, they saved a bundle of money not
> having to pay for 2 datacenters, no z/OS software and hardware, etc.  Eleven
> people, including myself and my boss were eliminated, although one retired,
> and a couple found jobs within the company.  One of those people got a job at
> higher pay as a forklift operator!
>
> You can get off the mainframe and save money!  Having a company with a
> datacenter already set up and running was a big help though.  I'm sure that
> had that not been the case, it would have taken at least a year or so more
> time to convert.
>
> Eric
>
> ---- Michael Saraco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > In the end I have never heard of any shop getting off of the mainframe and
> > saving money. I don't know maybe there is savings after one or two hundred
> > years.
> >
> --
> Eric Bielefeld
> Systems Programmer
> Aviva USA
> Des Moines, Iowa
> 515-645-5153

READ CAREFULLY. By reading this email, you agree, on behalf of your
employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from
any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service,
shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure,
non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I
have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents
and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and
privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to
release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.