On 31 Jan 2008 11:10:53 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>I have seen several shops get or try to get off the mainframe. The biggest
>reason the upper management gives for trying to get off the mainframe is
>no one coming out of college knows anything about the mainframe. When I
>was hired as a SYSPROG I had never seen a mainframe the company gave some
>test and asked if I wanted to learn the mainframe and I said yes. I was
>trained by older SYSPROGs. I am sure that is how most SYSPROGs got trained
>by their mentors.
>I have never seen a mainframe to whatever platform happen in budget or in
>the time frame that was sold to them. I have seen companies chunk millions
>at trying to get off of the mainframe when they could train the staff and
>exploit the mainframe for all of uses for decades.
>The 4 shops I know off personally that did or tried to get off the
>mainframe were all drive by upper management lack of understanding of the
>mainframe or a sales rep that came in told them they could get off the
>mainframe in 6 months and save them millions of dollars. What happened was
>what they said the cost would be multiply it by 20 to get close and if
>that does not drive the company into bankruptcy the added cost for all the
>floor space for all the servers, office space for all the additional staff
>to manage the server farms, and lets not forget all the extra cost of the
>software for every server and and every engine turned on on the server
>will unless they have a endless money pot.
>
>In the end I have never heard of any shop getting off of the mainframe and
>saving money. I don't know maybe there is savings after one or two hundred
>years.

While I don;t know if they saved any money, I worked at a shop that
had gone from the mainframe to HP-UX and was running a mainframe like
environment including an ISPF for Unix and CICS for Unix.  All VSAM
was moved to Oracle as was the true database type info.  I don't think
they had more than 3 HP-UX boxes.