Opps, posted to the news group by accident.

I will try and find the link, or you may find it when you do the Google,
but there has been an update.

The original migration to the mainframe was using IFL's on their
existing IBM mainframes.  After 1 year they had something like 700
virtual images, 200+/- production and the rest TEST and QA systems.

They figured that they were going to save so much money from NOT having
to upgrade their two data centers, reducing their environmental costs,
reducing their software licensing fees, and reducing networking
equipment costs, that they purchased 2 z9's just for the purpose of
running Linux on zSeries.  I can't remember exactly how many images they
had on the z9's, but I think it was over 1,000.

Kelman, Tom wrote:
Are you interested in just z/OS stories or in stories about mainframe
Linux also?  One big story back in 2006 was the one about Nationwide
Insurance moving the processing from 400 servers to 2 IBM z900 Linux
systems.  At the time they estimate the savings to by $15 million over 3
years.  Here is one article on it or you can Google "nationwide linux"
to get some more.

http://www.linux.com/feature/59984

Tom Kelman
Commerce Bank of Kansas City