Companies may be looking for System Programmer Gods..., but they only seem
willing to pay for newbies.

An associate has been looking to move on for some time now.  If, IF, he gets to
speak with someone at the hiring company (3 out of 14) they either reject him
out of hand because, he believes, they can determine his age or probable
starting salary, or they think they can get someone younger at a more
reasonable salary.  He is NOT asking for the world, just a good place he can
spend the next 20 years or so. (he says he has no intention of retiring).

He makes these assumptions because each resume submitted is targeted to the
hiring requirements so that alone should garner at least an exploratory
telephone call from the HR department.

One interview back in September called for a very senior systems programmer
with some IMS knowledge, which he does not have, but they did agree to
interview him.  During the interview, he reiterated his lack of deep IMS
knowledge (only installed it once a few years ago), but said he could be
walking within a couple of weeks and running within a month.  They never even
returned his follow-up telephone calls.  The company is STILL looking...  At
least that is what he told me over the weekend.

 On Tue Feb 12  9:40 , Frank Alequin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent: