I would say somewhere between 5 and 10 years experience depending on
what and where the experience occurred.  I worked in a sweatshop for my
first 8 years, and probably got 20 good years of experience there.  But
some people spend their first 5-10 years only installing a couple of OEM
products, so I would not call them senior.

It all depends on the level of experience, but I would say that a senior
systems programmer should be able to do the following (and have 5-10
years work experience):

1)  Install ANY OEM product with no help.
2)  Install z/OS or another Serverpac with no help.
3)  Debug a dump with no help.
4)  Do at least some minimal assembler coding
5)  Understand and be able to do most SMP/E work (like investigating
sysmods and coding usermods).

This is just my opinion.

Thanks

C. Todd Burrell