On Feb 12, 2008, at 9:40 AM, Frank Alequin wrote:

Here is my opinion on Z/OS system programer staffing.

When I decided to start looking for a new JOB in the mainframe world, I found
that many companies were looking for System Programmer Gods that knew
about everything. This surprised me because I had enough work only working with implementation of OPC Scheduler, now known as TWS and other products
installations.

After that I started getting also the responsibility of OS390 - Z/OS
installations, SMS, DFHSM implementation and Disaster Recovery Planing and
execution.

Right know I am one of the youngest System Programmer in my actual job. I decided to stay in the mainframe world even thou people said that mainframe was dying, but it has been difficult for me to find an attractive job in the US. Everything is contracts and that is not paying as much as it used to. The people that have been in this field a long time know what I am talking about. Besides when people see in my resume that I am currently living and working
in Puerto Rico don't pay that much attention.

A lot of people that gratuated with me are just foucused and oriented to open
systems.

Now I am just wondering if I should have decided to work in Open Systems.

Anyway I could keep on writing but I'll start bouring people.

Frank,

Welcome to the world of dinosaurs:(
There is no right answer for your question(s). As always it depends and when your resume is "seen" (read optical scanned) by the HR department.

The bigger the companies the more impersonal the hiring is get used to it.

The bigger the company the less likely you will be a general systems programmer. We have seen a list on here as to what companies seem to want and other that indicate they don't know what they want. The truth is its somewhere in between. Personally I would tend to stay away from becoming an expert in OE. This is just "my" attitude I am sure other will disagree. Don't get me wrong its a must to have OE experience so you can wade around in the muck. I have only seen those types of positions in a business that runs one of "big" (sorry I am having a senior moment here) packages that was retrofitted to the mainframe. my ears indicate that the vendors bully the users around and you can't argue with them its their way or its wrong. If you like working in that type of environment go for it. I have even heard the vendors (sales types) telling the company who they want to work on their system so be prepared for intense political pressure. Your boss won't want to be considered not to be a team player so he will bend to their "wishes". On the other hand if you can survive such political intrigue go for it but keep you hands wet in the MVS side as sooner or later you will need it at the best you might be able to keep your job on the other end you will be branded by the vendor as a troublemaker.
Ed