On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:02:03 -0800, Ed Gould <ps2...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Yes there is. Just last month the *OLD* table problem popped up. User needs
>LARGE in storage table (10G). Her only option was to write the file to a
VSAM data >set and do inquiries on it with I/O. The run time (even with CI's
in memory) was >about 4 hours. She did a rough quicky assembler and it was
less that 10 minutes >(elapsed on both numbers). Now, you tell me it isn't
needed. This issue has rose >time and time again. The answer is always to
write an assembler program to do it. >The *OLD* write it to VSAM option is
really inexcusable, IMO. Assembler is dead >(or at least almost extinct).

Ed,

Finally! Somebody has actually posted a real case where AMODE(64) would have
solved a problem in a good way. I was also questioning the real need for
this, at least at present. I assume that this table was READ-ONLY and
accessed with a binary search. I have done this for data in AMODE(31)  in
assembler (well, I didn't design it, I just inherited from something written
by another programmer long ago, in a galaxy far, far way - but who programs
in a Ford anyway?).