In <a6b9336cdb62bb46b9f8708e686a7ea0115baa1...@nrhmms8p02.uicnrh.dom>,
on 09/20/2012
   at 12:21 PM, "McKown, John" <john.mck...@healthmarkets.com> said:

>Spoofing email is rather simple.

FSVO spoofing. It's trivial to generate your own From header field,
but anybody that knows how to read headers can easily tell where it
really came from.

>Now, if somebody is really paying attention, they can detect this by
>looking at all the headers. And it is even possible to get around
>this, if the hacker can connect to the receipt ant's ISP using the
>SMTP port.

They can just as easily connect to the webmail servers HTTP port. That
won't enable them to get through authentication, in either case; they
need to know the password.

     Atid/2        <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>