Terri,

I had found the migration workflow here (of all places as a link for the
upgrade to the z15 that we just completed):
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/SSLTBW_2.4.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r4.e0zm100/Export_zOS_V2R3_to_V2R5_Upgrade_Workflow.html
I wasn't too happy with it because it doesn't work offline, you have to read it
online and don't really have a chance to edit or mark anything as complete or
irrelevant for your installation.
Now Marna tells us the ptfs where it can be found. That little tidbit of
information hadn't made it to my corner of the world. We do have oa60711
installed, but when I check the path /usr/lpp/bcp/upgrade, that is not a
readable format. It can probably only be read using zOSMF so it is useless to
someone without zOSMF up and running who uses the serverpac.

As for a zOSMF install - I had always planned to use the serverpac for 2.5. We
haven't set up zOSMF yet (that will have to happen after 2.5 is up and
running). Like Dave, all I really need from the serverpac are ALLOCDS and
RESTORE. I don't even run the full UPDDDD and I create my own catalog job. From
painful experience, I also compare everything to everything to make sure all is
complete (SMPE zones against the restored volumes, target volume against the
catalog).

As I had mentioned before on ibmmain, I do a lot of allocations quite different
from what IBM delivers so it is imperative that I can see the JCL before
submitting. I had heard that I cannot see it and had planned to put a JCL error
into the jobcard so that I can change from there. Doing that would probably
play havoc with what zOSMF *assumes* and enforces.

I have one set of installation volumes (TGT125, ZFS225 and DLBV25) specific to
the release. TGT125 will NEVER get IPL'd, I clone from there to everywhere. All
'extranous' data sets (CPAC, the SMP environment) goes SMS and stays on my
sandbox. I also don't IPL the CPAC system that comes with the serverpac.
Everything on DLBv25 and TGT125 is uncataloged. Only the ZFSs are cataloged
under the HLQ INST25. They, too, get cloned to the actual sysres and renamed
during cloning.

After reading your posts, I am really glad I used the serverpac, especially
with zOSMF insisting that everything is done exactly as zOSMF defines as 'the
right way'. It sounds like a nightmare to me to keep my working process using
z/OSMF. I'll leave that to my successor, as 2.5 is my last operating system
install.

Barbara