Quite a while ago, probably in OS/390 days, I experimented and did both a
replacement and an upgrade. Ultimately implemented the upgrade path and haven't
done a replacement since.

I agree with Barbara and Terri. I haven't actually IPL's the SMP/E target
sysres in decades. I use alternate cloned SYSRES ZnnPR1 and ZnnPR2. All DLIBs
stay in SMS and with the ZnnD HLQ used by the restore job. Target datasets on
the SMP/E target only have the ZnnT HLQ for the brief time between
allocate/restore and the rename job. OMVS are cloned to
OMVS.Znn.lparname.RSUnnnn on specific SMS managed volumes.
  Mod 27 sysres and OMVS volumes.