> So just a few clarifications.
>
> I am guessing when I install z/OS 2.6, not sure what my model is, an
> instance or the portable 2.5 order?

A model is a software instance representing your actual installed
software, no matter how it was installed, not a portable software
instance.

> Because the portable copy still has all the install names like
> SYS1SSA, SMPESSA, CPACSSA for dataset names and it doesn't seem like
> I can change them.
>
> But then if that my model for z/OS 2.6, then it should work with
> everything I setup already, Again probably just a learning curve.
>
> So, I was trying to use my z/OSMF (Serverpac install for 2.5) as a
> base for my software instance.
>
> That's wrong, because it wants to duplicate everything that came
> with that process.
>
> Once I just pointed to the SMPE datasets, you are correct it went
> after the DDDEF's and found everything correctly.
>
> I have now built a 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5 instance that matches my shop.

That's great!  You would choose any of these software instances as your
model when installing z/OS next.  You can also experiment with other
Software Management actions on those defined software instances.  For
example, on the Software Instances page try the View -> Data Sets action.
Or any of the Maintenance Report actions.

> z/OSMF still has a few quirks, depending on how you access things,
> Like my first comments about modifying datasets names. But I
> eventually got it to work.
>
> z/OS will be my first real install using z/osmf, so I am hoping all
> the nuances will be worked out, by then.
>
> Lastly,  I want to thank Barbara for the link to the migration
> guides. I still don't understand were they are in z/OSMF or how to
> access, but for another day.

Briefly, the z/OS Upgrade Workflow files will reside in
/usr/lpp/bcp/upgrade/.  There are several files depending on your upgrade
path.  Open the z/OSMF Workflows application, click Actions -> Create
Workflow, specify the appropriate file name in the Workflow definition
file field, for example,
/usr/lpp/bcp/upgrade/zOS_V2.5_from_V2.4_Upgrade_Workflow_V2.0.xml, and
click Next, then click Finish.  This will create and open an instance of
the upgrade workflow.  You can then perform the steps of the workflow ...
much like reading the upgrade actions in the older style Migration Guide.

Kurt Quackenbush -- IBM, z/OS SMP/E and z/OSMF Software Management
Chuck Norris never uses CHECK when he applies PTFs.