On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 19:01:45 +0530, Christian D wrote:

>Hi Group,
>
>Is there a difference in using the utility IEFBR14 and IDCAMS in deleting
>VSAM cluster Dataset ?
>
>I used to Delete the Cluster Before using IEFBR14 before but now it fails.
>

>//DEL   EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
>
>//TS        DD  DISP=(MOD,DELETE),UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(TRK,(0)),
>
>//   DSN=CHRIS.TESTING.DB2.LL1
>

>doesn't clear data set but raise
>

>IGD17105I CATALOG ERROR WHILE DELETING DATA SET  730
>
>CHRIS.TESTING.DB2.LL1
>
>RETURN CODE IS 84 REASON CODE IS 0 IGG0CLFK
>
>Explanation from Manual :
>
>84          Explanation: CAXWA count of active users has
>            reached 32767, the maximum allowed.
>
>The Deletion works well with IDCAMS but not with IEFBR14.

You looked up the wrong return/reason code. "84 Explanation: CAXWA count of
active users has..." is return code 4, reason code 84.

This is return code 84, reason code 0:

RETURN CODE 84

 Explanation: Date error.

Reason Code         Description
   0                   Explanation: An unexpired purge date exists. An
                       attempt to delete an entry failed because its
                       expiration date has not been reached, and the DELETE
                       command did not specify the PURGE option.

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/iea2m6c2/20.422?SHELF=all13be9

You need the PURGE/PRG-Option of IDCAMS-DELETE to delete an unexpired data set.
There's no equivalent in JCL.

Norbert Friemel