On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 10:09:02 -0400, John Gilmore wrote:

>This message is less informative that it should be.

I'd even say disinformative.

>The  value +32767 is of course the [decimal] capacity of a signed
>binary halfword, and what we notionally have here is an instance of
>control-block field overflow; but I suspect that this message is an
>artefact of the use of IEFBR14---As Elardus has already pointed out,
>it does nothing itself and wots not of VSAM---to trigger the deletion
>of a VSAM dataset identified in a JCL DD statement.

If allocation fails to delete a VSAM data set, the cause should be
described clearly, with suitable Programmer Pesponse, in the
message explanation.  If allocation actually leaves a control block
field corrupted, that bug should be fixed.

>Use IDCAMS instead!

(That should appear as the Programmer Response.)  I use DSLIST,
but I assume that invokes IDCAMS.  (TSO DELETE also?  I haven't
tried that.)

I've observed IBM to be quite slow repairing misleading message
texts.

-- gil