t...@harminc.net (Tony Harminc) wrote:
On 2 September 2014 10:32, Paul Gilmartin
<0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

I use DSLIST, but I assume that invokes IDCAMS.  (TSO DELETE also?  I haven't
tried that.)

TSO DELETE has been an IDCAMS command since MVS 2.0; maybe even in
SVS, a system I never used.

My two comments (or cents) about this thread are:

1. IEFBR14, in addition to being the smallest program in z/OS as far as I know (and only one instruction longer than the smallest possible program), remains the "most misused program in z/OS history" in my view. Whether DD statements included in a IEFBR14 step are processed as you might wish or not does not affect the apparent success of step execution. IDCAMS, TSO/E (IJEFTxx), and other programs provide far more flexibility and tell you much more about what happened if things don't go as you expect. They also let you conditionally run steps based on success or lack thereof. Very few things require the use of JCL for data set allocation, and even fewer require it for data set deletion.

2. Tony indirectly makes a good point. At the risk of sounding more pedantic than usual, it's sometimes useful, even important, to differentiate between a "TSO/E command processor" (which can be supplied by anyone) and "a TSO/E command," which is for all practical purposes a TSO/E command processor supplied by TSO/E itself. TSO/E command processors look, smell, and feel "just like TSO/E commands," but are not necessarily part of TSO/E.

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing