On Sep 16, 2014, at 2:34 PM, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

In <ea1e439b-1f07-415c-928f-367daa81e...@comcast.net>, on 09/16/2014
   at 05:17 AM, Ed Gould <edgould1...@comcast.net> said:

I had to get up and explain WTF had happened and how I fixed it.

Is that like explaining how to ride a bicycle. That is, did it take 20
times longer to explain than to do?

I did not go into detail about how I came to figure out what the solution was. I shortened a 30 minute learning session (to me) into a 2 minute explanation as none of the audience (I know for a fact) had the slightest idea what a PLM was let alone what a CVOL was. When I was up explaining the issue the the commanding officer I dumbed it down even more (not that the CO was dumb) but he had no clue what JCL was let alone what a GDG was (you have to know the audience). BTW the JOB(s) updated a data base ( home grown) which had nothing to do with a GDG but it updated the DB that contained all the (sorry I am forgetting terms here) part numbers that the ARMY had in Europe (I know thats right but the nomenclature is just not there anymore after 30 years).

There was a grizzled old female first sergeant that didn't like my
explanation as she knew everything.

Is that anything like the trainee that shoots himself with a rifle
that he knows is unloaded? The first step to wisdom is to know what
you don't know.

I guess you have to know an army type thats been in the service for over 10 years to understand the "type". For example its better than a civil servant, but not by much.