John McKown wrote:

>Steve Smith wrote:

>> Do whatever it takes to create the actual data set you want to transmit,
>> *then* invoke ftp to transmit it.
>​As the OP for this thread, I would generally concur with the above.

I stayed out of this thread to see what others said. I agree 100% with Steve!

I think, write something to massage that dataset to produce a shortened CSV
file with the changed/expanded numbers. Just select your fields and move them
via FTP to save on DASD space. It should be easy with DFSORT / ICETOOL, of
course YMMV.

Just be sure in what format are those numbers. That alone is a nasty trap with
'funny' results...

>... but that would require more money to write a Windows program to read the
>data in "mainframe" format and write it out in "Windows" format.

I will not [rather] do that approach, simply for type of 'endian' (spelling?),
encoding scheme and format of your fields which may be varied between records
as well as format and size in bytes of those numbers.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht