On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 8:42 AM, Paul Gilmartin <
0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 08:08:33 -0500, John McKown wrote:
> >>
> >> Do whatever it takes to create the actual data set you want to transmit,
> >> *then* invoke ftp to transmit it.
> >>
> THis may depend on the denizens' of the target system having the
> privilege and skill to do this.
>
> >​... We do have
> >Microfocus COBOL. Interestingly(?), it can read the "mainframe encoded"
> >data (EBCDIC, z series integers & packed decimal) just fine.
> Unfortunately,
> >unless I'm missing something, there is not any option to read in
> "mainframe
> >encoded" mode but write out in "Windows encoded" mode. ...
> >
> So leave the data in "mainframe encoded" mode perpetually and rely on the
> abilities of Microfocus COBOL to process it?
> ???

​Except that they want to use other languages as well. I am now wondering
if, while in "mainframe encoded" mode, ​the COBOL program could properly
talk to an MS SQL Server (company standard) to store the data, instead of
in a regular PC file.

--
"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is
ancient. It's called 'rain'." -- Michael McClary, in alt.fusion

Maranatha! <><
John McKown