On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 6:41 AM, Steve Smith <sasd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am over my self-imposed daily limit on IBM-MAIN replies and it's not even
> 08:00 yet.  However, I see no reason to "enhance" ftp.  In fact, I think
> the capability to convert to/from ASCII is misguided (as it's used by
> mistake as often as on purpose - see above).
>
> Do whatever it takes to create the actual data set you want to transmit,
> *then* invoke ftp to transmit it.

​As the OP for this thread, I would generally concur with the above. The
problem, at present, is that the files of which I am speaking are multi-GiB
data sets and finding more DASD space can be problematic. We can't get more
DASD basically because we are doing the ftp's to move data off of z/OS in
order to "get off the obsolete mainframe and on to current cloud based
systems" (managements' words, not mine).​ We could do BINARY ftps, but that
would require more money to write a Windows program to read the data in
"mainframe" format and write it out in "Windows" format. We do have
Microfocus COBOL. Interestingly(?), it can read the "mainframe encoded"
data (EBCDIC, z series integers & packed decimal) just fine. Unfortunately,
unless I'm missing something, there is not any option to read in "mainframe
encoded" mode but write out in "Windows encoded" mode. Of course, being a
despised mainframe sysprog, I'm not allowed access to the PC environment
where all this is going on.

--
"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is
ancient. It's called 'rain'." -- Michael McClary, in alt.fusion

Maranatha! <><
John McKown