There is a true ETL tool component, PowerExchange by Informatica that allows
the actual ETL Tool (PowerCenter) to read IMS and VSAM files as if they were
relational tables.  In general I would recommend this, but I don't have a sense
of the "permanence" of the process you are concerned about.  So I don't know
that you'd want to invest in such a product for a short term need.

Anyway, you basically feed in a COBOL copybook that describes your file (or IMS
database).  PowerExchange then generates one or more table structures that can
be queried by PowerCenter.  PowerCenter would use these queries to actually
load the data in to a true relational database.

Or something like that.  I've only worked on the PowerExchange side, not the
PowerCenter side.

There is a PowerExchange STC that runs on z/OS and deals with both the data
mapping and data transmission.  No FTP involved.

Probably there are other similar tools, but this is the only one I am
personally aware of.

Frank