On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 2:44 PM, R.S. <r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl>
wrote:

> W dniu 2017-03-24 o 18:04, Pommier, Rex pisze:
>
>> The only thing I wish he would have included in the presentation was the
>> original 9672/9674 which was a huge shift from the GA-AS technology to
>> silicon.
>>

> I wish I hadn't worked on pre-9672 machines.
> Was it really non-silicon? I was pretty sure it was silicon, but ECL, not
> CMOS.
>
> BTW:
> What about LPARs?

​Yes. In "partitioned mode".

> How HMC looked like? Was it PC-DOS-based?

​No HMC. The console looked like a 3270 which was "built into" the machine.
Older ones had _dials_ and _buttons_ and _LIGHTS_! Oh, how I miss the
lights.​

> What about I/O cards? were they similar to cards available in 9672?
> What OSA options were available?

​No OSAs. Had to have an outboard controller on a regular byte multiplexer
channel (not block or selector).​

> What about cryptoHW?

​<giggle> No co-processor cards. Unless you think of integrated channels as
a co-processor, that is.

--
"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is
ancient. It's called 'rain'." -- Michael McClary, in alt.fusion

Maranatha! <><
John McKown