t...@harminc.net (Tony Harminc) writes:
> Boeblingen got their hands slapped for anti-trust reasons for moving
> the controllers inside (shades of the 2319 disk), or because corporate
> inherently favoured Endicott over Boeblingen (and presumably POK over
> both)? Or something else?

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017.html#74 The ICL 2900
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017.html#86 GREAT presentation on the history of
the mainframe

memory bus with generalized 9-positions for microprocessors (&
microprocessor all the same) was much more advanced design than other
IBM systems were (suppose to be) doing.

which in part, made it straight-forward to do the 5-way SMP, past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#bounce

note some of this would have been similar (but different) to effort
later in the 70s to migrate the large number of different internal
microprocessors to 801/risc (Illiad). past 801 posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#801

because of the difficulty having all the unique development and
operations for each unique microprocessor.

I've previously told story after working on ECPS for endicott and 5-way
SMP for Boeblingen, I got involved in doing 16-way SMP which lots of
people thought was really great ... even getting 3033 processor
engineers to work on it in their spare time (lot more interesting than
remapping 168-3 logic to 20% faster chips) That is until somebody
informed the head of POK that it could be decades before the POK
favorite son operating system had (effective) 16-way support ... at
which time some of us were invited to never visit POK again (and 3033
processor engineers to stop being distracted). IBM eventually ships
16-way system more than two decades later ... recent reference
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#30 The ICL 2900

past SMP posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#smp