l...@garlic.com (Anne & Lynn Wheeler) writes:
> For the 3090, they originally planned on using a 4331 with a highly
> modified version of vm370/cms release 6 as the service process ... with
> all service screens done in CMS IOS3270. This was upgraded to a pair of
> redundant 4361s. The 3092 ("service processor", i.e. pair of 4361s) has
> requirement for two FBA3370s (even for MVS customers that never
> supported FBA). ... 3090 announced 12Feb1985 (including requirement for
> two FBA3370s for 3092 service processor)
> https://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PP3090.html

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#80 Great mainframe history(?)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#81 GREAT presentation on the history of
the mainframe
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#82 Great mainframe history(?)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#83 Great mainframe history(?)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#84 Great mainframe history(?)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#85 Great mainframe history(?)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#86 GREAT presentation on the history of
the mainframe
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#87 GREAT presentation on the history of
the mainframe
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#88 GREAT presentation on the history of
the mainframe

other 3092 lore. Early in the days of REX (before rename to REXX and
release to customers), I wanted to demonstrated REX was not just another
pretty scripting language so I chose as demonstration to rewrite IPCS
(dump reader, huge amount of assembler code) in less than 3months
elapsed time working less than half time would have ten times the
function and run ten times faster (some tricky coding to make
interpreted rex run ten times faster than assembler). I finished early,
so developed a set of automated library routines that would examine for
the most common types of failures.

I thot that it would then be released to customers as upgrade to
existing IPCS, but for some reason that never happened .... even tho it
came to be in use by nearly every internal datacenter and customer
PSR. I eventually got permission to make presentations on DUMPRX and how
it was implemented ... and within several months, similar
implementations started appearing at customers.

Eventually the 3092 service process group contacted me about including
it in 3092 release. Since their vm370/cms release 6 was heavily modified
and out-of-date, they had to do almost all the service themselves and
they relied heavily on DUMPRX. some old email from the 3092 group
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#email861031
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#email861223

past posts mentioning dumprx
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#dumprx