http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#82 Great mainframe history(?)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#83 Great mainframe history(?)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#84 Great mainframe history(?)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#85 Great mainframe history(?)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#86 GREAT presentation on the history of
the mainframe
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#87 GREAT presentation on the history of
the mainframe

FE had failure diagnoses requirement for bootstrap scope'able process.
3081 were inside TCM and no longer scope'able. Process was then a
scope'able service processor ... that could be diagnosed/repaired and
then the service processor had large number of probes into TCMs and the
service processor could be used to diagnose the TCMs. The 3081 service
processor was UC microprocessor and everything had to be developed and
implemented from scratch.

For the 3090, they originally planned on using a 4331 with a highly
modified version of vm370/cms release 6 as the service process ... with
all service screens done in CMS IOS3270. This was upgraded to a pair of
redundant 4361s. The 3092 ("service processor", i.e. pair of 4361s) has
requirement for two FBA3370s (even for MVS customers that never
supported FBA). ... 3090 announced 12Feb1985 (including requirement for
two FBA3370s for 3092 service processor)
https://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PP3090.html

I had done a lot of work on ECPS microcode assist and later would
give talks on the implementation at monthly user group meetings ...
and the Amdahl people would talk to me about their hypervisor
implementation ... old email from 1980
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006p.html#email801121

mentioned in upthread discussion in this post archived here
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#81 GREAT presentation on the history of
the mainframe

IBM eventually responds to Amdahl's hypervisor with PR/SM & LPAR
on the 3090 (announced 12Feb1985)