mitchd...@gmail.com (Dana Mitchell) writes:
> 4331 had integrated disk and communication adapters built in, no 3274,
> 3705, 3880 controllers required.  Later machines just had parallel
> channels just sort of built in, not really on cards.  3090 was first
> with ESCON

minor nit, ESCON announced with ES/9000 in 1990 ...
https://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_FS9000.html

Enterprise Systems Connection (ESCON) Architecture implementing fiber
optic channels, which provide significantly higher data rates than
traditional parallel channels and which permit input/output equipment to
be located at distances up to nine kilometers (5.6 miles) from the
processor;

... snip ...

from Computerworld, 20Jan1992, volXXVI, #3, pg. 29 article, "No
stampeded to IBM's Escon"

IBM's Escon architecture, introduced in September 1990, is a
fiber-optic-based method of connecting processors, storage devices and
peripherals.

... snip ...

1980, STL cons me into doing channel extender support. They are moving
300 people from the IMS group to an offsite bldg with remote access back
to STL datacenter. The victim group had tried remote 3270 support and
found the human factors totally unacceptable. The channel extender
support puts 3270 channel attached controllers at the offsite bldg. The
channel extender support ... downloads channel programs to channel
simulator at the remote site ... significantly offsetting the latency
and overhead of the intensive channel protocol chatter over the extended
distance. Instead streams data & channel programs simultaneously over
full-duplex connection (side-by-side 3270 demos with real local channel
attached and channel-extender running loop-back to offsite bldg and back
... it is not possible to tell difference).

Vendor then tries to get IBM to allow release of my support. However
there is a group in POK that is playing with some fibre stuff that
gets it blocked because they are concerned that if it was in the
market, it would make it harder to get their stuff released. some
past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submisc.html#channel.extender

STL does a special 3270 logon screen for the IMS people at the offsite
bldg (standard login for all of STL is VM370, even for people working on
IMS, DB2, MVS, etc). This was also in the days of increasing focus on
productivity from subsecond response. Standard TSO at best was second,
and most of the time much worse. Lots of internal VM370 systems were
.2sec ... but I did "SJR/VM" systems that lots of internal datacenters
ran that would get .1sec using same hardware with identical load (when I
was at science center, it was CSC/VM that lots of internal datacenters
ran, before I transfered to san jose research)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/vmhyper.jpg

In 1988, I'm asked to help LLNL standardize some serial technology they
are working with ... which quickly becomes Fibre Channel Standard
... including concurrent streaming in both directions of data &
downloaded I/O programs (minimizing latency of I/O program protocol
chatter).

Then ESCON is announced 1990 with ES/9000 when it is already obsolete.

Then some POK engineers became involved with fibre channel standard and
defined an extremely heavy-weight protocol that drastically cuts the
native throughput, which is eventually announced as FICON. Most recent
"peak I/O" benchmark I can find is z196 getting 2M IOPS using 104
FICON. About the same time there was native FCS announced for E5-2600
blade claiming over million IOPS (for single FCS, two such FCS having
higher throughput than 104 FICON running over 104 FCS).

There is some mention of zHPF/TCW that is a little like what I had done
originally in 1980 ... but claims only 30% improvement over standard
FICON (possibly 2M IOPS with only 70 FICON?)

some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submisc.html#ficon

3090 trivia: engineers were really upset being directed to use slow,
vertical microcoded JIB-prime for 3880 disk controller. It had special
hardware bypass for 3mbyte/sec data transfer ... but the controller was
really slow at processing channel programs and rest of the channel
protocol chatter, signicantly increasing channel busy (much, much slower
than the previous horizontal microcode 3830 disk controller).

3090 had designed balanced configuration throughput assuming that
channel protocol overhead busy would be similar to 3830 (with
improvement that data transferred at 3mbyte/sec). When they found
how bad 3880 channel busy was going to be, they had to significantly
increase the number of channels ... which required an additional
TCM, which increased manufacturing cost. There were semi-facetious
references that the 3090 group was going to bill the 3880
controller organization for the additional TCM.

Then marketing spins all the additional channels as how much it
increases the 3090 I/O throughput (obfuscating the fact that the
additional channels were required for the significant increase in
channel busy overhead).

past posts getting to play disk engineer in bldgs14&15
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#disk

recent posts in this thread:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#80 Great mainframe history(?)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#81 GREAT presentation on the history of