l...@garlic.com (Anne & Lynn Wheeler) writes:
> 3090 added vector processing as part of playing in the supercomputer
> market ... however that required that they also be able to support
> 100mbyte/sec (and/or 1gbit/sec) I/O. 3090 was barely able to get up to
> 4.5mbyte/sec transfers ... so what to do?

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017d.html#4 GREAT presentation on the history of
the mainframe

as mentioned mainframe bus&tag half-duplex had increasing throughput
problems, handling 3mbyte/sec disks and then 4.5mbyte/sec disks ... but
unable to handle the engineering&scientific 40mbyte/sec disk
arrays. I've also mentioned that ESCON didn't finally get announced
until it was already obsolete (1990 w/ES9000) ... at 17mbytes/sec, it
couldn't also handle the 40mbyte/sec disk arrays.

This also basically precluded a project that the father of 801/risc
roped me into ... doing a "wide" disk head that did 18 tracks in
parallel. This is somewhat analogous to the 60s 2301 drum, essentially
the same as the 2303 drum but read/wrote four tracks in parallel at a
time, four times the transfer rate with 1/4th the number of tracks that
were four times larger.

Original 3380 had 20track width spacing between every data track. This
was later reduced to 10track width spacings for double density 3380 with
twice the number of cylinders ... and the spacing was reduced again for
triple density 3380.

Tne 3380 "wide-head" disk would have 16 adjacent data tracks plus a 17th
servo track. The "wide-head" would span 18tracks, two servo tracks on
either side of the 16 data tracks. It would read/write at
16*3mbytes/sec=48mbytes/sec. The problem for the project was that none
of IBM mainframe I/O could handle that data rate.

some old email about the wide-head r/w 16 data tracks.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006s.html#email871122
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006s.html#email871230

following year (1988), I get asked to help LLNL standardize some serial
stuff they are playing with ... which quickly evolves into fibre channel
standard (initially @1gbit/sec full-duplex, 2gbit/sec aggregate) ... but
mainframe heavy-duty protocol running over fibre channel standard isn't
available until much, much later
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submisc.html#ficon

past posts getting to play disk engineer in bldgs 14&15 in
the late 70s and much of the 80s
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#disk

past 16+2 disk head posts:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006s.html#30 Why magnetic drums was/are worse than