I think that the answer is probably a little of "it depends" (thank you Bill Bitner). The "it depends" I think is related to your I/O rate and I/O requirements. An example, and even tho it is very old, I think would still apply, is that back in the late '80's I had some 3090's as well as some 3880-J21's. The 3090's had expanded storage and the J21's were a special control unit with cache memory and 3350's for backing storage that were intended for use only as paging devices. I ran some tests that involved bringing up enough virtual machines running some code that would cause a lot of paging. I don't remember the number of machines now but it was enough to be able to saturate the paging system regardless of what the paging configuration.

I ran the first test just paging to only spinning 3350's. The 3350's only with no paging to the J21 cache or expanded storage would support "X" pages per second, I think around 100. The next test, still without expanded storage but paging to the J21 cache would support 10 "X" pages per second. The last test, using expanded storage, J21 cache and spinning 3350's would support paging up to 100 "X" pages per second.

I don't remember the average I/O time for a 3350 even with chained page I/O and I don't remember the channel configuration. I think that the channel speed on a 3090 was 4.5 MB/sec which is considerable slower than ESCON or FICON. I am also sure that memory transfer times was a lot slower on a 3090 than what you see today, but everything is likely to be relative.

So, I think that the answer is that you will be better off from a pure speed standpoint if you use MDC rather than control unit cache, but you could try with and without MDC and see if your I/O rate goes up with MDC. If it does and if it is important to your application requirements that you get as much I/O thru the system as you possibly can, you'd be better off getting as much off your channel sub-system as you can. If your I/O rate doesn't go up when using MDC, then you're really not gaining anything in using it. No user, sitting at a terminal, is going to notice if his/her I/O was satisfied at channel speed or memory speed.

Jim