Nice start!

Chapter 8 could be "Book 2".  That really could end up being one very long
chapter unless you stick very close to the "IBM default recommendations",
You know, like we all do... on days that end in z.   The
maintenance/service philosophies from different folks could be chapters in
themselves.   There is of course only one correct way to do service and
that would be, well, mine.

I have tried to develop my SHARE VMSES/E Intro session and Lab into
something that most folks can walk away from and understand more about what
VMSES/E is up to and how to apply service to VM.  This is one hour lecture
and one hour lab, but it would be very easy to make it much longer given
all the possible scenario of maintenance (PTF, many PTFs, missing pre-req,
RSU, new release/version, second level -vs- first level, etc etc).  Then
beyond that is something I stress about why learning what VMSES/E is up to
is a Good Thing.  One day these folks are going to want/need to do
something more advanced like a local mod, or installing a product that has
mods or replacement TXT files, etc.  Having the 'basic advanced topics'
documented for reference would certainly help them get started.

I look forward to seeing this idea bloom more!

_______________________________________
James Vincent
Systems Engineering Consultant
Nationwide Services Co., Technology Solutions
Mainframe, z/VM and z/Linux Support
One Nationwide Plaza  3-20-13
Columbus OH 43215-2220   U.S.A
Voice: (614) 249-5547    Fax: (614) 677-7681
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU> wrote on 08/01/2006
04:13:08 PM: