On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Alan Altmark wrote:

> There are some who believe that the authority to LOGON BY to a user should
> implicitly allow:
> - XAUTOLOG
> - SET SECUSER or OBSERVER
> - SEND (a la class C)
> - FORCE
> - SIGNAL SHUTDOWN
>
> Thoughts?

And maybe FOR, in 5.3.

At my current job, we create LOGONBY profiles out of laziness - small
group, development shop, most of us log onto multiple ids every day, so no
one has to remember (or change) any password but their own. In this
environment, there would be no issue with bundling all of that with
LOGONBY.

At my last job (security weasel for a RBC), surrogate facilities like
LOGONBY were mostly used to solve the problem of how to provide
accountable access by multiple people to a shared security principle
(userid) for administration or maintenance, with convenience way down the
priority list. Frequently, there was an implied serialization of the
resource, too. There, we wouldn't have wanted to see something like this
because it would have made collisions less likely to be detected before
something bad happened, and auditing more complex if it did.

The logic of "but they could do it anyway if they can log onto the user"
is hard to argue against. The question is whether there is really any
difference that matters, other than maybe the serialization thing, between
doing something while logged on as a user and doing more or less the same
thing as or to that user while loggged on as a different user.

Steve

-- Steve Marak
-- [EMAIL PROTECTED]