On 8/24/07, Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There are some who believe that the authority to LOGON BY to a user should
> implicitly allow:
> - XAUTOLOG
> - SET SECUSER or OBSERVER
> - SEND (a la class C)
> - FORCE
> - SIGNAL SHUTDOWN

Put away what you're smoking...     Let's get back again to the style
where we come up with the requirements and plea for years to get the
commands in the directory, and you guys code it ... :-)

I understand the idea that these commands achieve things that you
could do if you would logon to the virtual machine. Sure, but far from
complete: FOR has been suggested, but what about STORE HOST (as long
as the frame holds a page of that virtual machine) and DETACH, and...

My major concern is auditing. While I trust that the implementation
will take care of auditing in the ESM, it makes it much harder to see
who has been messing with it.  Normally when a user tells his server
"suddenly failed" you could scan the PROP logging and see which of the
developers reconnected, and tell him to hit his peer over the head
with it. But when neither of the virtual machines has its console
spooled, you would not be able to tell what happened.

Oh, and how about RACF restrictions that apply to the LOGON (like
terminal or time) ? How would that apply to the proposed commands?

If you really think this is useful, then use different profiles in the
surrogate class (e.g. MAGICBY.<target>) so that an installation can
decide which end users are able to use this.

Rob