From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Schuh, Richard
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 13:21
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] Ops privs

No. No. No. No. No.

We use LOGONBY as a means of controlling who is allowed to log on to group ids
and tracking what they do. None of those other commands would be useful or
necessary in that context. Giving those permissions  would negate, or at least
complicate, our ability to track who did what when. Further, we would not want
one user to be able to alter or compromise the functions being performed by
another who was already logged on via LOGONBY. SEND, FORCE, and SIGNAL SHUTDOWN
certainly have that potential, for example.

Most of what is listed could be useful only to someone who is really
knowledgeable about the functions of the virtual machine. They are also mostly
useful in looking after service machines. They are not useful to someone who is
a more naïve user who logs on to a group id to perform simple functions or to
run an application program, and could be somewhat dangerous if abused,
accidentally or on purpose, by such a person. It is the latter group that we
must protect against by not giving them authorities that they will never need.
The former group probably has the knowledge needed to function without the
added authority.

Regards,
Richard Schuh

________________________________

There are some who believe that the authority to LOGON BY to a user should
implicitly allow:
- XAUTOLOG
- SET SECUSER or OBSERVER
- SEND (a la class C)