> Here's the weirdest thing of all, I changed the NAME of the
> virtual machine in z/VMs directory and IPL'd again and I
> haven't had a problem yet (but I also lowered the memory size
> from 1GB to 512Mb).

The name change is irrelevant to the problem. One thing that can cause a
machine to linger in the eligible list is insufficient memory to load it
or a guest that is ahead of it in the E-list. That guest and any behind
it in the list will be blocked. The memory change probably reduced the
storage demand enough to allow it to load. Have you recently added other
large guests that may have changed the environment enough to cause E
list problems? If you are not running constrained, this may be something
that is susceptible to tuning parameters. I am sure that Barton or
someone from IBM can weigh in on this topic.

> Does a virtual machine's CP control blocks survive
> LOGON/LOGOFF of the virtual machine?

No, the blocks do not exist before logon or after logoff.

 I'm wondering if all
> that ATTaching and DETaching wrecked something in CP in
> relation to this guest [kind of a longshot, I know].

Doubtful that it munged CP. It may have caused z/OS to have problems if
done improperly.

Regards,
Richard Schuh