I am not sure what the options are for external timers and I think the
z9's and probably z10's have some new way of obtaining time.
We currently have external timers that are somehow magically connected
to the zVM lpars. The timers obtain time from a naval observatory.
Anyway, electricians managed to kill some of the mainframe cables
(copper melts). They are replacing the cables to the timers this
weekend.
I am wondering how to verify the new cables work. I always thought (I
could be wrong) zVM obtained the time from the hardware (HMC? SE?).

Ann Smith
Mainframe Systems Support -zVM and zLinux Support
Integrated Technology Delivery
IBM Global Service Integrated Operations At The Hartford
Work phone: 860-547-6110
Pager: 800-204-6367
Email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

destroy all copies.