Back in the 1970s dark ages Mitre used a Chrono-Log clock to set the 360/50
clock for OS/360 and (I'm pretty sure) the 370/145 for VM/370 (Release 1 PLC 9,
for those feeling competitive). That eliminated system operator creativity in
guessing or mistyping the time's second/minute/hour/day/year/century as
apparently had happened before I arrived.

I'm happy to announce that Googling chronolog clock
finds about 338,000 hits including the company's current Web site
<http://www.chronolog.com/TIMING1.HTM> which proudly notes, "For over 40 years, Chrono-log
Corporation has been meeting industry needs for accurate, reliable, economical and versatile time display
systems". It notes that "Time [is] derived from GPS, WWV/ACTS(NIST)". If the 360/50 and
370/145 could accept external clock data I'd hope that today's mainframes also could.

The fourth search hit is for a 7090/7094 simulator program document dated
January 2007(!). So the Chrono-log product family has quite a long tail!

Dave Jones said:

If you have the 'prompt' IPL option enabled, when you first bring up CP it asks you (prompts....) for the date and time. I am unaware of any optional piece of hardware that would allow VM to automatically set it's clock via an accurate electronic source such as the Navy Observatory.

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.          (703) 204-0433
3401 Silver Maple Place, Falls Church, VA 22042        [EMAIL PROTECTED]