From: The IBM z/VM Operating System on behalf of Dave Jones
Sent: Thu 5/8/2008 11:57 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] How does z/VM obtain time ?

Hi, Ann.

If you have the 'prompt' IPL option enabled, when you first bring up CP
it asks you (prompts....) for the date and time. I am unaware of any
optional piece of hardware that would allow VM to automatically set it's
clock via an accurate electronic source such as the Navy Observatory.

Smith, Ann (ISD, IT) wrote:
> I am not sure what the options are for external timers and I think the
> z9's and probably z10's have some new way of obtaining time.
> We currently have external timers that are somehow magically connected
> to the zVM lpars. The timers obtain time from a naval observatory.
> Anyway, electricians managed to kill some of the mainframe cables
> (copper melts). They are replacing the cables to the timers this
> weekend.
> I am wondering how to verify the new cables work. I always thought (I
> could be wrong) zVM obtained the time from the hardware (HMC? SE?).
>

> Ann Smith
> Mainframe Systems Support -zVM and zLinux Support
> Integrated Technology Delivery
> IBM Global Service Integrated Operations At The Hartford
> Work phone: 860-547-6110
> Pager: 800-204-6367
> Email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> This communication, including attachments, is
> for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary,
> confidential and/or privileged information.  If you are not the intended
> recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is
> strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
> the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and
> destroy all copies.

DJ

V/Soft
   z/VM and mainframe Linux expertise, training,
   consulting, and software development
www.vsoft-software.com