From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Smith, Ann (ISD, IT)
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 11:48 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: How does z/VM obtain time ?

I am not sure what the options are for external timers and I think the z9's and
probably z10's have some new way of obtaining time.
We currently have external timers that are somehow magically connected to the
zVM lpars. The timers obtain time from a naval observatory.
Anyway, electricians managed to kill some of the mainframe cables (copper
melts). They are replacing the cables to the timers this weekend.
I am wondering how to verify the new cables work. I always thought (I could be
wrong) zVM obtained the time from the hardware (HMC? SE?).

Ann Smith
Mainframe Systems Support -zVM and zLinux Support
Integrated Technology Delivery
IBM Global Service Integrated Operations At The Hartford
Work phone: 860-547-6110
Pager: 800-204-6367
Email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
destroy all copies.