> That is excatally what it can do in VSE.. Point the
> output to an IP address where the client is running
> (there is LINUX, WINDOZE, UNIX, etc. versions) and run
> your VSE job to either read or write the tape input/output
> to the remote VTAPE server.. So simple and I can't believe
> IBM developed it. But why not in z/VM?

I have used the VSE VTAPE over TCPIP and with VSAM.  In our
case, VSAM performs MUCH better.  It was explained to me
that our FLEX box doesn't have the same throughput over the
network that a shiny new Z box with OSA would have.

It would be great to have VTAPE in VM natively. Of course, I
am  spoiled as we have had FAKETAPE with FLEX since 2001.
We still do CMS backups to FAKETAPE using VMFPLC2.  Then we
run a VSE job to copy the non-labeled FAKETAPE to a cataloged
tape that VSE DYNAM knows about.  That way we can have our CMS
backups in the same catalog as our VSE stuff.

Ed Zell
Illinois Mutual Life
(309) 636-0107
.

CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you receive this e-mail in error, notify
the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.