From: Adam Thornton [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 10:00:08 -0500
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: DDR'ing 3390 DASD To Remote Location

On Jun 18, 2008, at 9:04 AM, Michael Coffin wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Holy Cow!  A 3 MONTH recovery window?!?!?  I don't think I've ever
> come
> across such a "generous" recovery window, most companies would be
> out of
> business in 3 months without access to their mission-critical systems.
> :)
>
> On another note, has anyone ever come across an FTP stage for the CMS
> PIPE command?  Someone on the LINUX-390 listserv suggested there might
> have been one once upon a time..

Well, in the z/VM installation from, uh, version 5.1 forwards, I
think, there's the Install From DVD option, which uses an undocumented
pipe stage to transfer track images and reassemble them.

If you look at the INSTDVD exec you can see how it works.  It's
undocumented, but it's been stable for a while, so it probably isn't
going anywhere, but at your own risk, etc.

Adam