The added cycles for software encryption is a problem for me also.
I use an drive enclosure made by Addonics that encrypts everything on
the drive using various levels of encryption.  It's all hardware based
and to get to the data on the drive, you need to plug in the encryption
key before you turn the drive on.

Aria.