> We have a one year contract with Novell until May 2009.
> They gave us a unique activation code.  They told me to download
> the CD1-CD2 disks from their site.
>
> Can I use the "SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Starter
> System for System z" to install it?
> I'm confused...

Maybe this will help:

The starter system is a prebuilt installation server that you use to
create other virtual machines - it contains the disk1 and disk2 images
plus a copy of SLES configured to act as a NFS/HTTP/SMB/FTP server to
make that data available. It's the functional equivalent of downloading
the CD media, setting up a server to provide access to the media, and
configuring all the software you need to provide access to the media --
condensed into the single step of downloading the starter system and
installing it.

You use the installation server as the source to create new virtual
machines. Machines that are created from the installation server get the
activation codes, because once they're installed, they interact directly
with the Novell servers to get updates, etc (unless you set up a local
service mirror), and thus need to identify themselves as valid
recipients.

So, to answer your question -- yes, use the starter system to install a
new guest, and when prompted, give it the activation code you got from
Novell, and the end product is exactly the same as if you had downloaded
the media, found someone to serve it up to you over the network,
transferred the boot files, made a boot image, booted SLES from reader
or tape, and answered the prompts. You just save a bunch of steps, you
don't have to convince anyone to stick a CD or DVD in their machine for
two or three hours, and get your virtual machines installed at
memory-to-memory speeds instead of just Ethernet speed.

All you do is create the new VM userid, LINK NOVSTART 19F 19F RR, ACCESS
19F R, and type SLES. From that point on, you're in the normal SLES
installer.