Ivan Warren wrote:

> Because changing the allocation map has a nasty tendency of clearing the
> 'active' directory flag...
>
> That means there is a window of opportunity in which you may find
> yourself unable to IPL your system.

If that's the only problem, one can still IPL with the NODIRECT option.
OPERATOR will come up, but with no minidisks or CMS. Hopefully this will never
happen to you, but what to do if it does?

1) Create a USER DIRECT file, and a map (I use DIRMAP for this) on a *secure*
local CMS minidisk every day! VMSECURE users typically do this. Don't know
about DIRMAINT

2) Squirrel away a copy of the minidisk map on some *secure* external system,
if for no other reason than for disaster (natural or manmade) recovery
purposes. You can do same for USER DIRECT, if the location is triple secret
secure.

In the map from 2),

3) find the location of MAINT 190 (or 490) and issue

    DEFINE MDISK 190 start count volid

4) find the location of the mdisk with the USER DIRECT file and issue

    DEFINE MDISK 191 start count volid

5) DEFINE STOR 20M (at least)

6) IPL 190 CLEAR PARM NOSPROF

7) XEDIT, BROWSE, or TYPE USER DIRECT and note the vdev and volid in the
DIRECTORY statement

8) DEFINE MDISK vdev 0 END volid

9) DIRECTXA USER DIRECT A (twice)

Hopefully, DIRECTXA completes with rc=0!

SHUTDOWN REIPL and you should be back on your way.

Mark Wheeler

Access your email online and on the go with Windows Live Hotmail.
http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_AE_Access_022009