From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Adam Thornton
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:26 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: z/VM 6.1 and Hercules on Z9

On Jul 28, 2009, at 6:32 PM, John McKown wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Adam Thornton wrote:
>
>> On Jul 28, 2009, at 4:25 PM, Edward M Martin wrote:
>>

>>>     I can say that, 1) it is illegal to run z/VM (pick a version)
>>> under Hercules, 2) they do not like it, and 3) they do not have any
>>> sense of humor.
>>
>> Perfectly fine to run it under Hercules on the processor z/VM is
>> licensed to.
>
> And how would you get IBM to license z/VM 6.1 to you when they know
> that
> you don't have a z10? IBM is not under any obligation to license their
> software to anybody. Now, if IBM ever said "NO" simply because "we
> don't
> like you", that might be a very interesting lawsuit.

I'm not denying that the original poster may not have a legal way to
do it.

I am specifically objecting to Edward Martin's Point 1.  There's a
perfectly legal way to run z/VM under Hercules.  Not that you'd
necessarily want to.  But I did run 64-bit z/VM 4.4 on my H70, and I
might be the only person who can say that.

Adam